Applications Engineer – Kirkland, Quebec
WECO Electrical Connectors Inc.
18050 Trans-Canada Highway
Kirkland, QC, H9J 4A1 Canada
Are you passionate about developing and implementing optimal processes and work methods, improving production tools and equipment, designing products of the highest quality? Are you an energetic and committed engineer?
If you are this professional engineer, and you have work experience in a manufacturing environment, please submit your resume now to join a company seeking excellence in its field of activity!
Reporting directly to the VP Technology & Innovation, the Applications Engineer leads the planning and implementation of the company’s new product development program as well as the development and design of manufacturing processes (ie: automation) to improve the productivity, quality and profitability. He/she will work closely with the R&D department in the research, design and strategic planning activities to broaden the product portfolio and strengthen WECO’s presence in the global market place.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING
- Manages the research, design and development of new products
- Manages and coordinates the development, design, and manufacture of automated equipment related to production.
- Establishes budgets for R&D and special projects e.g. automation.
- Develops and maintains appropriate technical documentation.
- Provides technical assistance to the R&D department.
- Gather information from customers on their needs and lead the design and product optimization projects.
- Creates scope of work for the development and manufacture of full automation or other type of machines built to custom specifications by third party.
- Supports and coordinates machine development, implementation, and commissioning activities with third party machine builders.
- Coordinates and follows up on procurement activities related to assigned projects
- Creates and communicates project timeline and progress reports
- Plans and organizes workgroups for periodic review of on-going projects
- Continually reviews new and current technologies (machine and process) in order to improve and reduce production costs and assist in the design of new products.
- Helps to evaluate and select suppliers for automation projects.
- Acts as liaison between vendors selected for automation projects and WECO.
- Other duties or projects as assigned by the manager.
- CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
- Lead, coordinate and implement continuous improvement projects in the manufacturing sector.
- Evaluate, plan and execute manufacturing process automation and improvement initiatives to reduce costs and optimize productivity.
- Compile and analyze data and extract solutions to correct deficiencies and make recommendations to achieve planned objectives.
- Evaluate manufacturing cost for existing and/or new processes/products.
- Collaborate and support continuous improvement projects.
- Participates in the resolution of non-conformities (product and/or equipment) and contributes to the identification and implementation of corrective measures.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering with good mechanical aptitudes.
- 3 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong CAD skills, knowledge of drafting principals (ie: Solidworks)
- Good knowledge of assembly techniques and plant automation processes.
- Very good knowledge in design of mechanical assemblies, equipment, and subsystems.
- Very good knowledge of plant automation and automated technical processes.
- Good knowledge of electrical principals.
- Knowledge of machine tools and machining processes.
- Knowledge on product development and management processes will be an asset
- Experience designing products or tooling/equipment will be an asset
- Research experience will be an asset
- Bilingual (English/French).
- Problem-solving skills - ability to find and solve problems, speed of learning and solutions to satisfy our customers.
- Continuous Improvement - skilled and motivated to improve existing processes and production systems.
- Autonomy - able to prioritize tasks, manage and plan resources efficiently.
- Professionalism, diplomacy, reliability - ability to work with colleagues to provide quality support to internal and external clients.
- Organizational skills - the ability to maintain up-to-date, complete and detailed records and the ability to be quick and accurate.
- Multi-tasking skills - the ability to prioritize tasks and manage a variable workload.
- Analytics - the ability to analyze customer requests versus company results in collaboration with colleagues.
- Effective communication - communicate clearly and precisely at all levels of the organization.
- Interpersonal competence - knowing how to work effectively as being part of the team with the customers and colleagues in order to clearly identify their needs.
- Emotional intelligence - the ability to recognize and manage emotions and the emotions of others individually and in groups.
Comfortable workspace with frequent virtual interactions with international colleagues. May be requiree to travel to collaborate with offshore internal or external partners. Occasional overtime depending on the on-going projects and deadline might be required.
- Flexible work schedule of 40 hours/week, Monday to Friday
- Insurance: medical, paramedical, dental, life insurance, disability, after 3 months of continuous service.
- Paid Personal days in the first year
- Paid vacation days in the first year
- Free on-site parking
- Structured welcome and integration program
- Social events, (i.e. birthday celebrations, seniority, employee appreciation breakfasts and much more)
- Possibility of hybrid work, (telecommuting and at the workplace to facilitate work-life balance, according to company policy)
- A casual but professional environment, allowing jeans to be worn on Fridays.
- A company that cares about the well-being of its employees